Monday, March 12, 2012

Selah’s Eyes, Weekend and Catch-up

I asked for prayers last week about Selah’s eye appointment.  We had it on Friday in Southaven with a wonderful pediatric ophthalmologist, Dr. Pandya Lipman.  I had no idea what to expect!  I’ve always wondered how doctors knew that little kids needed glasses…I wondered how in the world they ever examined them.  At first they had her look at an eye chart with pictures on it.  It was pretty comical because the pictures were a bit outdated…for instance, there was a picture of an old, rotary telephone.  The funny thing is, Selah said “phone” when they pointed to it, so maybe it’s not as outdated as I thought.  Anyway, as the pictures got smaller, Selah would lean in closer and closer to the paper, then she would guess what she was looking at...I guess that was a pretty good indication of what was to come!  Next, they dilated her eyes and the doctor would hold lenses up to her eyes and look through them with a light.  She would switch the lenses out, so I’m assuming that is how she figured out what prescription she would need.  Selah was not at all happy with the examination.  Obviously, nothing was painful, she just didn’t like to be held down.  We did find out that her right eye is crossing, and the vision in that same eye is not very good.  If it was just crossing, it might could be corrected with patching her “good” eye and making the other one work harder, but since her vision is poor in that eye as well, she needs glasses.  We are hoping that glasses will fix the crossing problem too, but she will be monitored every couple of months to see if there is improvement.  Dr. Lipman told us that most children grow out of it, but some do require surgery.  Time will tell about Selah.  Needless to say, we’re a little anxious about her wearing glasses.  I think it is going to be a big adjustment for her to get used to them, but hopefully it won’t take too long.  I’ll be sure to post a picture of her when they come in this week!

DSCN5208

Going back, last Wednesday I sent Mickey Mouse cookies to school for Selah’s birthday.  She loves Mickey Mouse, so thanks to Pinterest I found an easy way to make some!

DSCN5210

I loved the girls’ matching outfits they wore last Wednesday, so I tried hard to get a good picture of them. 

DSCN5216

These two were about the best I could do!

DSCN5219

Saturday was a G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. day!!  We enjoyed some of the day at the park with our friends, the Booths.  Michael was in Memphis the whole day taking a test for PT, so we were glad to have something to do!

DSCN5226

I think Selah’s most favorite thing to do at the park is swing.  She couldn’t wait to eat her lunch so she could go “schweeng”!  Oh, and by the way, Myla informed me that she “did not like Selah’s hair like this!”  I thought she looked right cute.

DSCN5227

She also navigated her way to the top of the slide this time and enjoyed sliding over and over!

DSCN5231

She would crawl through and climb the stairs and say, “I made it, Momma!”

DSCN5234

Little poser

DSCN5237

Sage loved sliding with Selah, too!

DSCN5241

All the big girls loved taking turns on the “zip line”.  Mrs. Jamie helped them out!

DSCN5242

Montana (or “Mo”) taking her turn!

DSCN5244

Myla loved it!  She couldn’t quit smiling!

DSCN5252

Hanging on tight!

DSCN5250

While the girls did that, Selah did what she does best…drive August crazy!

DSCN5255

The girls got a little more brave and started pushing each other back and forth!

DSCN5258

Selah had to get one last swing before we left!

We are looking forward to a good week of “Spring Break”…whatever that is!!!  HA!  Our Spring Break started out interesting this morning when I woke up to find a tick embedded in my belly button…so gross…sorry!  The girls and I made a trip to Urgent Care because we couldn’t get it all out.  They put me on antibiotics to prevent Lyme’s disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  They told me to come back if I started having any other symptoms.  So, in the past month, Michael and Selah have had the flu, Selah has had an ear infection, we found out Selah will have to wear glasses and now this…the tick incident.  Needless to say, our doctor’s bills and pharmacy bills have NOT been kind to us!

No comments: