Friday, May 7, 2010

Myla and Selah - What's in a Name?

I read the blog Kelly's Korner every day, but I have never participated in her "Show Us Your Life" series on Fridays, but today I wanted to because it is about your children's names. We have had many people ask us how we came up with our girls' names, so I thought I would explain...
Myla Karen Meurrier
Myla - Merciful
Karen - Purity
The night we found out we were having a girl when I was pregnant with Myla, Michael was thumbing through a baby names book. He said, "I'm going to go through the "M" names and then go to bed (he had been looking from A-M). The last name in the "M" section was Myla. He mentioned it to me, and I really liked it. It was different, but not too far out there, I didn't think. At that point, it just kind of stuck, and we started calling her Myla and liked it more and more! Her middle name, Karen, is from our Sunday School teacher when we lived in Jackson, Karen Mumbower. Mrs. Karen was the epitome of the Proverbs 31 woman, and we knew that we would love for our little girl to have those same traits. Mrs. Karen passed away before we moved from Jackson, and when we found out we were having a girl, we knew we wanted to honor Mrs. Karen by giving our little girl her name. I love the meanings of both names as well. We pray that Myla will be merciful and pure throughout her life! It is funny when you are naming a baby, you have no idea what their personality is going to be like, so picking a name is a little stressful! Now, when I look at Myla, she just looks like a "Myla"! It fits her personality perfectly!
Selah Grace Meurrier
Selah - Pause and Reflect/Solid as a Rock
Grace - Unmerited Favor
It took us a while to come up with Selah's name. We debated back and forth about having another "M" name or just doing something different! We liked the name Selah when we were pregnant with Myla and even tossed it around for her name. It is used in the Psalms a lot where it means "to pause and reflect" or "think upon these things". There is also a Christian singing group named Selah that I have always loved! The origin of the name is African, and the African meaning is "Solid as a Rock"! What can beat that?? We hope that this little girl will one day be solid as a rock in her relationship with Christ and in her morals and beliefs. When we finally decided on Selah being her first name, Grace just seemed to fit perfectly!

5 comments:

Newlywed Next Door said...

I love the name Selah! How do you pronounce it?

Michelle McArdle said...

Beautiful names for beautiful girls!

meurrier said...

We pronounce it "Sayla". I think there are several pronunciations, but that's the one we like the best!

Katie Bailey said...

My niece's name is Selah Jade. Very unique, and very pretty. I love it :)

Shawna Gurtler said...

Beautiful names. I'm also naming my daughter Myla.