Thursday, June 14, 2012

It’s Time For An Update, Don’t You Think??

So have you wondered why I haven’t updated my blog in ages?  Let me give you a quick run-down of our past 10 days…

1.  Two Sundays ago while I was at the church decorating for VBS Michael called me in a panic because he noticed thousands of “ants” on the roof while he was cleaning out the gutters.  He was convinced we had termites or carpenter ants.  On the way home I stopped and bought a ladder at Walmart so we could examine it further.  I hated to spend $150 on a  ladder, but I just thought, “Hey, sometimes an extra expense pops up…it’s just part of life, right?”  Well, little did I know it was just a foreshadowing of what was to come!  The pest control people came out on Monday and told us that they were just ants, and it was nothing to worry about, but they did recommend having the lower branches cut off of the tree where the ants were travelling from onto the roof.  So, we contacted a tree surgeon and had that taken care of…another “extra” expense.

2.  Then on Monday on the way to VBS in a torrential rain, the passenger side windshield wiper went haywire flopping around every which way.  It was an easy fix, but again, combined with all the other things coming up, it just became comical.

3.  When I got home from VBS, I noticed that the power had been knocked out in the storm because all of our clocks were blinking.  Before long, I went to get on the computer, and it was dead.  Wouldn’t turn on.  I had my friend, Cameron, come out and look at it.  Power surge…lightning strike.  Okay, so now we had to buy a new computer….do you see a pattern of “extra expenses” popping up??

4.  I also noticed that both garage doors were not working…you guessed it.  Lighting fried both control boards so we had to have those repaired.

5.  Saturday morning, while cleaning I noticed the wall temperature control panel for our hot water heater was not on.  What do you know…lightning strike got it’s control board as well.  The plumber came and fixed it.

6.  I’m continuing to clean on Saturday, and when I turned on my vacuum cleaner, it sounds like it is about to BLOW up!  Needless to say, it didn’t work.  Can’t blame that on the lightning…just a stroke of bad luck.

7.  This past Monday night we headed to church (we have church on Monday nights during the summer) in a crazy thunderstorm with heavy winds.  When I got home, Michael was standing in the side yard in front of a section of our fence that had blown over.  Literally, the support poles snapped at the ground level and it just fell over.  Really???  Surely this was the end of all of the craziness happening to us.  Well….

8.  Late Tuesday afternoon, I noticed it was getting a little warm in the house since the girls had the back door open going in and out to play.  I cut the thermostat down on the air conditioner, and NOTHING happened.  I thought to myself, “Surely not!”  Well, it was true…the air would not come on.  When Michael got home, I broke the news to him.  He went out to inspect the unit, and Oskie was going crazy trying to scratch and get under it, and in turn had shredded a large cord.  Michael told me he thought there was an animal under it.  Upon further inspection, Michael saw the culprit.  A huge RAT.  I am not making this up.  In an attempt to get to the rat, Oskie had caused the damage.  Michael ran the rat out with the broom handle, and Oskie took care of him.  Thankfully, the air people came the next morning and replaced a fuse that had blown, and the air was fixed.

Whew…I still cannot believe all that has taken place in the last week and a half.  Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying.  So, in a nutshell, that is why I have not updated my blog recently, but here goes.  I am going to do separate post from our vacation, but these are the other things that have been going on!

DSCN6582

Last week we had VBS!  Myla and Selah loved it!!  I directed crafts for 1st through 6th grade, and we had so much fun!!!  Here is Myla in the plane in her room!

DSCN6583

She loved showing us her room on family night, and she pointed out the “fish” she had drawn on their wall mural.

DSCN6584

VBS is such a wonderful ministry to children!  There were 9 children who gave their life to Christ during the week.  That is WORTH every bit of hard work and planning that went into putting this week on!

DSCN6589

My mom and Frank got Myla a swing set for and early birthday present.  Michael set it up last Saturday while they were at his parents’ house, and they enjoyed playing on it after church on Sunday!

DSCN6590

Both of them were saying, “Swing us higher, Mommy!!”

DSCN6592

Selah’s favorite thing is this double swing!

DSCN6593

Myla’s favorite thing is the swing she is on in the above picture.  She’s figured out how to get herself going on her own, and she loves it!

DSCN6596

This past Tuesday, it was a rainy day, so we decided to take advantage of the $2 movie summer series.  I didn’t know how Selah would do, but she did great!  We say Kung Fu Panda.

DSCN6595

Sometimes I think this child is going to make me lose my religion, but oh my goodness, I love her SO much!

DSCN6598

Another advantage to the summer movie series, is that kids get a box of popcorn, a drink, and candy for $2 at the concession stand.  Now, that’s a deal!

DSCN6599

Another picture before we left.  Thankfully it has stopped raining by the time we left.  We had to run through a downpour when we got there!

DSCN6606

Yesterday, we finally had some sunshine, and we were so excited because we were going to Tupelo to see our cousin, George, who was here visiting from Colorado.  The girls wanted to swim so badly at my aunt’s house, so they were excited the sun was out!

DSCN6608

Three peas in a pod! 

DSCN6609

Of course, swimming makes everyone hungry, so they had to have a snack when they came in!

DSCN6610

Sweet cousins…they hated to say goodbye to each other!

YAY!!  I’m glad that post in behind me.  I was a little overwhelmed about updating the blog because I have so much to post.  Vacation posts coming up soon!!!

No comments: