Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten…

Yesterday was Myla’s first day of Kindergarten!  She has been so excited about starting school, and to be honest, I have too!  Even though I know homeschooling will be hard, I am thankful for the opportunity to do it!  I am so grateful that God has given me the opportunity to be her sole influencer at this early and very impressionable age.  I know that education is important, and I do want her to learn to read, write and be able to do math problems. But, what I am much more concerned about is her little heart.  I want her to learn to love the Lord and serve Him, and I think that will be better taught in our home than in public school.  I am not perfect, and I know we will have tough days, but I think, in the end, it will be worth it!  I will do another post on my decision as a whole to homeschool, but today, I just want to share with you her first day!

DSCN7088

She woke up ready to roll!  She picked out the dress that she wanted to wear, and she was so excited about the sign I made for her to hold for a picture! 

DSCN7090

We started off with a devotion and prayer. She said the sweetest prayer that made me cry!!  Here she is ready to go with all of her workbooks!

DSCN7091

She was yelling, “SCHOOL”!!!

DSCN7092

Working diligently on her “I” page!

DSCN7093

After we finished her workbook pages, she was begging for more to do, so she finished up with some color by numbers pages. 

As for Selah…she slept until 8:30, so we were DONE with school by the time she woke up!!  She slept that late again today, so we were done today as well!

I would say our first day was a great success!  The A Beka curriculum is great, but moves a little slow. For instance today, we reviewed what we did yesterday, so she didn’t have any pages in her workbook to do, so she was not happy about that!  I know it will quickly pick up where we have more to do each day as we add to what she is learning, but she is quite eager!!  Also, when we start CC (Classical Conversations) after Labor Day, the load will pick up as well because she will have quite a bit of memory work each week.

After we finished yesterday, we had the entire day to be together and just have a normal day.  I think that is going to be my favorite thing about homeschooling, especially kindergarten (where the work load is small) is still getting to be with her each day.  As a stay at home mom, there have been days in the past five years where I have very selfishly thought to myself, “I can’t wait for Myla to go to school, so I can have a break!'”  But now, the thought of taking her somewhere for almost eight hours a day makes my stomach hurt.  I seriously teared up yesterday after I took the picture of her holding her “First Day of Kindergarten” sign.  I can’t imagine if I had dropped her off at school.  Please hear me say I do not believe there is anything wrong with taking your child to school!  I’m just thankful that God has given me the opportunity to do this!

No comments: