Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11…10 Years Later…

I vividly remember that day…September 11, 2001.  I was a senior in college, and I had woken up and gotten ready for class like any other normal day.  I walked across the hall and a couple of doors down in the dorm to get Joanna so we could walk to Mrs. Jones’ Family Life class.  I will never forget opening her door and seeing her standing in front of her chest of drawers, her face about 8 inches from the television screen.  She looked at me and said, “Have you been watching this?”  I told her that I hadn’t…I had no idea what was going on.  We watched the coverage for a few minutes, then headed to class.  I remember walking through campus and life just seemed dimmed and quiet.  People weren’t really talking and laughing and joking around.  When we got to class, someone had already brought a tv into the room and had the news on.  We all sat there watching the terror unfold, and shortly after we sat down, we all watched the second tower fall.  I can remember thinking to myself, “This is really, really bad”, but I had no idea the magnitude of the situation.  After class, we talked to a girl whose fiance was in the World Trade Center during the attack, and they had not yet hear from him.  He did get out fine, but it dramatically changed his life forever.  Next I went to work.  I was working as a secretary/paralegal for an attorney.  One other paralegal worked there, and when I walked in the office, they (Doc and Amy) were both sobbing.  Doc was on his knees in the floor, and Amy was sitting on the couch. This is when I started to realize that our lives…the comfort bubble of living in America would never be the same.  We had been attacked, and I was scared.  I called Michael after work and went straight to his apartment.  I just remember wanting to be with him, hug him, and thank God for him.  It’s interesting how during a scary/tragic time, our perspectives are very quickly narrowed onto what is truly important in life.  We sat and watched the news.  It was like a train wreck…it was horrible to watch, but I couldn’t quit watching it.  And it remained that way for weeks. 

I can’t believe it has already been ten years.  I can still remember so many details about that day.  Exactly what I was wearing, exactly where I was when certain things happened, etc.  I’ve heard my parents and grandparents talk about days like this in their lives.  The day of Pearl Harbor, the day that JFK was assassinated, etc.  Now, I had one of those days to remember.  I can remember flying for the first time after 9/11…I was truly scared.  It’s like our lives had changed and our fears were heightened.  I am so thankful to live in America, and I am so thankful that God brought us through those darks days.  It is my prayer that our nation would turn BACK to God, and the Biblical principles that this country was founded upon.

No comments: