Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This....

WOW!!!
What a day we had yesterday! It all started out normal. We woke up and got ready to take Myla to Mother's Morning Out at 9. When I dropped her off at the church I went in to give Selah a bottle since I had some errands to run, and it was time to feed her, I just did it there instead of coming back home. She was really fussy and squirmy during her bottle, which I thought was weird, but I wasn't too concerned. I ran my errands and then Katie and I met for lunch at Kabutki, which I was excited about! I can't take Myla there because she is terrified of the big flame and the whole cooking on the table thing. Well, around 11:15, right after they put the food on my plate, Selah started crying....so much so that I had to get my food in a to go carton and leave. I picked Myla up and came home...Selah was screaming the whole time. I was thinking she was just hungry, so I fed her as soon as we got home. She would not take her bottle and she continued to scream. Long story short, she literally screamed NON-STOP until 3:00 pm. At that point, she didn't really quit completely...it just became more off and on. I called the pediatrician's office at 3, and they didn't call me back until after 5. Thank goodness our pediatrician is a friend, so I called her and she told me to come to her house because it was not normal for her to have screamed that long. I began to panic because I could tell that Dr. Molly seemed concerned. Selah's temp was 100.1. Molly was in a meeting when I called and she said that if her fever went up to 100.4 before she was out of her meeting, then we needed to go to the ER. That is when I really got nervous. We finally went to her house about 8:30 (she has still been crying most of this time), and lo and behold, she has an ear infection. It is quite uncommon for children this young to have one. We went to the clinic this morning because Molly wanted to get a blood count, which turned out elevated, but normal due to the ear infection. I am so thankful that it is just her ear because I realize that it could be a lot worse. I am so thankful for healthy children. I got almost physically sick last night thinking what would I do if something had been seriously wrong with Selah. I know God would give me the strength to get through it, but I just can't even imagine how hard it would be to have a seriously ill child. I was mentally and emotionallly exhausted last night after holding a screaming baby all day, but so thankful that I have a baby to hold!
Myla at the doctor's office. She was truly happy we weren't there for her! She was so sweet to Myla and kept telling her, "It's okay, Selah, don't cry" when they were pricking her finger.
Sleeping peacefully until all the excitement began. She did really well though! By the way, she is up to 10 lbs 3 oz! She has gained 2 pounds since her two week check up!

No comments: